DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Porting Sandbox

Porting Sandbox

I’m in the process of following Big Ben’s lead and trying to port this thing over to Sandbox (w/ a few changes). This is the way to go if you are turning your blog into a Tumblelog-ish sort of thing. So, thanks, Ben! Please excuse the dreadful mess while I try to accomplish this fun task. Ben, I hope you don’t mind, but I’m peaking at your CSS, bro. I’m getting quite an education!

14 Responses to “Porting Sandbox”

1. Hey, Nick. Thanks, bro. I had my moments of insanity too. See the first four comments of this post for a fine example.

2. nick says:

Man, this is looking really good! You guys are great at this, I wish I could pull of the whole tumblog thing and still stay sane :)

3. Thanks, Will! Love the work you are doing at your site too!

4. Will says:

Sandbox is definitely the way to go. I really like the way things are looking here so far! I agree that the hover permalink is a complete pain in the rear making it work across browsers. Keep up the great work Shawn!

5. Thanks Ben, I’ll all the help I can get.

6. Ben G. says:

Same goes for me, if you want.

7. Shawn,
    thanks bro - I’d love to see what you’ve done and try to figure it out a bit.

8. Shawn says:

Oh, Wess. One more thing, if it’ll help you understand this a bit more: I’ll package the whole thing up, when it’s done, and ship it over to you to look at and tear apart. So, if you’d like to do that, just say the word, brother.

9. It’s all done by CSS, Wess. This is the way to go, as Ben said, because you don’t have to hack the php at all. It’s a lot more work, but I think it is much cleaner.

10. wess says:

what are you guys using for asides? and i look forward to seeing the end product Shawn. I keep inching my way towards following you both completely but I’m holding back a little for reasons that aren’t absolutely clear.

11. Man, that’s hilarious. Yeah, um, God may be talking to me as a result of all the cussing I’ve been doing as a result of all of this. :)

I think I got the front page nearly tied up. The archives and single pages need some major work. Sandbox seems to not want to show images and such the way I want it too on archives and single pages. Plus, I have to figure out how to do away with the comment call on specific posts too.

The asides way was not as clean, but it was a lot easier, I think. This is taking some work.

12. Ben G. says:

“A god time…” LOL. You mean you’re spending a lot of time talking with God as a result of trying to wrestle the style into place? LOL.

I’ve gone back and commented my stylesheet up a little more, trying to explain what I was doing.

13. Thanks, Ben. Bro, my whole blog is a mess! LOL! I’ll be working on it here and there for some time to come, I think. The most difficult part for me is the hover permalink trick. I have been messing with post widths, post wrappers, margins, padding, etc. I just can’t seem to get those permalinks to hover uniformly and just a tad outside of the actual post wrap/block. I also see that the archives displays are going to need work. Those were pretty easy to do with custom templates and asides. Anyway …

Yeah, the blog looks like the lid of a can of mess right now, but I’m having a god time learning.

14. Ben G. says:

You’re welcome to look, but it’s quite a mess. I’m sure there are things I could have done differently to make it more clean. Some parts, such as when I have a padding-left on category-quote, I’ve had to make the overall width of those posts narrower. There are some other odds and ends too.