DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" ""> The Shack by William P. Young

The Shack by William P. Young

I have read a few books that have changed my life. These kind of books - the kind that change your life - are exceedingly rare. So rare, in fact, that I think that I have only collected a handful of them during my years of searching and reading. The titles that quickly come to mind are: The Kingdom of God is within You by Leo Tolstoy; The Christian’s Secret of a Happy Life by Hannah Whitall Smith; Peace Child by Don Richardson; Night by Elie Wiesel; Reflections of a Peacemaker by Mattie J.T. Stepanek. These wonderful books are affective and effective. Reading them moves one’s mind and heart in a way that begs a personal change for the better. This holistic combination of affective and effective unction is exceedingly rare and seems to only happen when an inspirational force greater than the author is involved in the writing. Good books inform a reader; fantastic books inform and emotionally stir readers. That said, I honestly confess that I have never been more informed and stirred than I was last evening as I devoured page after page of a book by William P. Young called The Shack. The Shack is, as a result, now included in my personal list of rare and life-changing reads. Yes, it is that good!

I was not expecting much from William P. Young’s book. I admit that I approach Christian Fiction with more than a bit of cynicism. The genre is infamous for its total lack of originality and literary quality. The days of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and John Bunyan are long past, unfortunately. The Shack is, however, a hopeful and brilliant splash of color in a genre now laden with cliched blacks and greys. It is a story that does justice to the standard set by Lewis, Tolkien, and Bunyan. The book can stand on its own literarily; it is also surprisingly original. The book’s originality is profoundly obvious in its clear and accessible narrative reinterpretation of serious and contemporary theological issues. Actually, it is quite remarkable to witness a total ransacking of the academic academy’s pet issues in such entertaining, elementary, and enlightening fashion. Young is obviously very, very aware of the theological conversation unfolding today. He not only addresses this conversation in a relevant way that surpasses the arduous methodology of our day’s most decorated theologians, but also does it with creativity, originality, and story. This is, as any graduate from any seminary will surely attest, no easy feat.

I am not going to be a spoiler in this review. This story is too good for me to ruin it for you by revealing the premise, plot, and random pieces of the story line. I highly recommend this book to everyone who enjoys reading fantastic books. In fact, I’m looking into buying a box-full for the members of our church. The Shack is that good. It is one of those life-changing reads that only manifest every 100 years or so. So, yes, get yourself a copy and block off a few hours of serious quiet time and read it. I sat comfortably in my study, listening to classical music, reading it until 2:00 AM in the morning. I laughed, cried, prayed, and nibbled on some sort of delicious but new cookie my wife made for us earlier in the evening, as I turned the pages of this very, very special book. It will be a book that remains with me for the rest of my days.

God, it seems, is very fond of me … and you! Thank you, Paul!

The proceeding was an Ooze Select Bloggers Book Review.

1. Posted October 25, 2007 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Just wanted to drop a note and say, ‘Thank You!’ for such an encouraging and loving review … I can’t wait to share it with Kim and the kids.

Blessings on you, your wife and save me a cookie for some day! I’ll buy the coffee, or for me a Chai with soy, extra hot.

2. Posted October 25, 2007 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

@Paul: What a joy to find a comment from you here! Thank you for your comment and your wonderful book! May God bless you and yours for the blessing your work will be for many, many people.

PS: The kids and I have already finished the cookies! But I’ll have my wife punch out another dozen or two on that day … and I’ll have a gallon of extra-hot Chai in tow! :)

Seriously, thank you for the book. My wife is reading it now.

3. gretchin
    Posted October 26, 2007 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Wow! This book sounds very interesting! I will be going to B&N tonight to buy it!

4. Posted October 29, 2007 at 11:00 am | Permalink

I ordered this last night from Amazon (saw similar user reviews there, too). Thanks for the recommendation!

5. Posted October 29, 2007 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

You will love this book, Scott. Make sure you block off a chunk of time to dedicate yourself to the read. It’ll be hard to put it down, brother. I’m actually ready to re-read it. :)

6. Posted November 13, 2007 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Someone told me to get this book. I ordered it and let it sit for a week before I picked it up. Christianity made simple - the way it should be! I ordered 20 more books but I don’t know if I can wait until Christmas to give them to people.

This is by far the best book I have ever read in my life! I feel like a changed person because of what I have absorbed. I am almost finished. I can’t wait to finish it so I can start to read it all over again - this time with a highlighter and a pen. If you read this - and absorb this book - you will never be the same person! You, only so much better!

7. Posted November 13, 2007 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

@Sandy: I concur, and wholeheartedly so! I actually lent my copy to my pastor/mentor, who is reading it during his three week stay in India! Amazing where this book ends up, isn’t it?

8. Posted December 4, 2007 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Hi Shawn, appreciated your insightful and powerful review of The Shack. It has impacted me tremendously too.

So much so that I contributed time to spiff up Paul’s blog at, grabbed 2 autographed case lots of him to pass out to friends and family, and when he was in town for a book signing, we enjoyed an hour long video interview that I recorded and published on my blog at

Good to make your acquaintance, Shawn. God bless!

9. Dave Tjart
    Posted December 12, 2007 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Hi Paul:

Just came across the title of your book, The Shack, today. Haven’t read it, but am looking forward to it. My wife and I remember the few days you spent with us on your way to Ft. McMurray–a whole lifetime ago!

Many blessings on you this Christmas.

Dave Tjart

10. Posted December 13, 2007 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Dave…are you kidding me?!! That is unbelievable…that you even remember me…not sure that is so good…I was still kind of a huge mess back then. Sweet grace, and blessings on you all.

11. Posted December 19, 2007 at 3:24 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for the review - I requested that the public library in my town purchase it and they did, so I’m about to start reading it now.

12. Bryce
    Posted January 5, 2008 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Wow! The Shack is awesome!
    My wife and I have just finished reading it. My kids purchased it for me for Christmas- I read half of it Christmas night- must read!
    A small group at church is going to discuss the book.

13. Posted January 16, 2008 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Can someone send me a free copy of the book to my mail address which is: 475 NW Glisan, Portland, OR 97209. Thanks so much. Sincerely, Saint nate love.

14. Dave Tjart
    Posted January 16, 2008 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Hi again, Paul:

My wife and I have both read the book, and got to discuss it with our daughter Carol last Saturday. And word is getting around in our community–many are reading! Last evening, a friend to whom I recommended it said he couldn’t put it down . . .

Profound thanks for a most insightful work–looking forward to your visit to our neck of the woods.

Dave Tjart

15. angie
    Posted March 15, 2008 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

I found your book at a secondhand store, actually I believe it found me. It was never readbefore andait jump out at me as I passed by[I normally never by books I just go to the library}
    Needless to say,after I got home started reading, could not put it down…I enjoyed the story and gave the book to a friend the next day to read and told another about it. I have never bragged on a book as I have this one.. Thanks for writting a great story!

16. Christiana
    Posted March 26, 2008 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I LOVED THIS BOOK ALSO!!! I think everyone (xians&nonxians alike) should read it. We are discussing it in a few days in our Book club:) yay! thnx

17. Posted April 6, 2008 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

A good friend has recommended this book so I’m ordering it today. However, I was wondering if Shawn has read any of George MacDonald’s books, as they stand tall with C.S. Lewis as my personal faves. My guess is that “The Shack” will as well …
    Thank you for your review, and the ops to read Paul Young’s responses. Convinced me to buy the book.

18. Carri B
    Posted April 8, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I just read The Shack and found myself crying through most of the last few chapters.

Having said that let me qualify it by saying there is much erroneous in Young’s writings which shows an obvious foray into Universalism. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to base context and characters of a story on figures we all know only and exclusively through the Bible and then totally disavow much of what else is written in that book. There are inaccuracies that contradict both Old and New Testament teachings and I would warn readers not to swallow everything Young purports whole. If you are not familiar with God the Father and Jesus Christ of the Bible and their teachings, this book could lead you down New Age paths that take you away from truth.

Either the figures in the Bible are real and factual and therefore the premise in the book is also real and factual, or it is all false together. For Mr. Young to give us the Jesus of the Bible and then undermine much of what he said is disingenuous. There is a danger here for those not fully grounded in the truths of the Word.

But, those grounded and sure of their understandings of the gospel will be able to find the pearls in this lovely story as there is much good to be found. I came away much more devoted to the desire to serve and love and devote my whole self to the relationships in my life which all too often take backseat to the front seat prestige given the cares of the world. It was emotional for me to be reminded of how completely and unreservedly I am loved by my Father and Jesus Christ, and how the Spirit binds me to them. That and more was worth the cost of the book and made mucking through Young’s fallacious and esoteric theology worth it.

19. Posted April 9, 2008 at 10:03 am | Permalink

@Carolyn: Hi! I have not read any of George MacDonald’s books! Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into them. If they are comparable to C.S. Lewis and The Shack, I’m sure I’ll be entertained and edified. Thanks!

20. stephanie
    Posted April 15, 2008 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand why some say this book has a universalist perspective. It is a modern day parable of the complete love of God! It touched me so deeply and I realized I had been loving God with a religious love that included a lot of rules. God loves me like I love my children and more-so! He loves me like a mother, like a Father, like a friend, creatively, mysteriously, and completely because He is Love. After reading the Shack, I cried through the worship songs at my church because their words became real, directly from my Savior! Now that’s a powerful book that God is using in my life and many others to wake us up to who He is. I am changed not because of my belief system but because He is especially fond of me and YOU!

21. Posted April 15, 2008 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Yep. Not sure why people like Mark Driscoll have a problem with this book either … It’s a shame, really. This is a great story!

22. stephanie casey
    Posted April 16, 2008 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I read the book in two days with 7 children running around! This book has changed my life and my way of thinking of what kind of God we really have. I have always thought of God on a more complicated level, but I realized after reading this book I was searching too deep for Him when He is right there with us all the time just wanting our love! Such a simple request! That all he wants us to do is love Him as He loves us!

23. JerryB
    Posted April 24, 2008 at 7:26 am | Permalink

It is so strange to me to read the comments of some (especially in the comments section of about this book) who want to take such a “theological” bent on this wonderful little book that clearly says identifies itself is a novel. No, I have sense enough to know it is not at the stature of seminary study such as Grudem’s “Systematic Theology,” but it is a heart-warming, illuminating tale that gives us a perspective of the Trinity that we probably could not conceive of or haven’t thought of. I could not put the book down. And, any book that can cause a 63-year-old-man college professor to weep and smile at the same time, has to have something going for it. Some people’s reactions are the same as what I see at my church–in spite of the blessings all around us, some folk always are there to pull Christian actions back, and, while saying “take cautious steps,” actually really desire to squash every worthwhile activity that we as Christians have been put here on earth do specifically do.
    Folks, read this little book, and don’t react negatively to it just because some “church scholar” says it has “theological” flaws.

24. Posted April 27, 2008 at 4:50 am | Permalink

so agreed- this book changed my life to- my sister recomended it to me and said it was great but i had to read it for myself and now i’ve bought my own copy and i’m ready to read it a second time, this time with a ready heart to really consider the truths that were presented in such a new and understanding way.

though i can’t see myself in the main charactars life (in his circomstance) i did see myself in so many of his veiws and mindsets- this book was so freeing and so challenging.
    it is now one of my top two fav’s ever… the other is the great divorce by cs lewis!

i’d recomend the shack to anyone and everyone- with the warning- not to be taken lightly!

God Bless

25. Posted April 27, 2008 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

I agree, The Shack, is a life changing book!
    Have you read Ted Dekker? His books are delicious as well and very well crafted, intriguing and have taught me much about life, love and the truth!

26. Posted June 10, 2008 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful reading experience! I loved the fictional encounter with “God.” “The Shack” changed my life! It made a huge positive impact on my image of God. I know God loves me already but this book made this so wonderfully concrete and alive! I loved and laughed at the descriptions of the Trinity. The scene with Jesus dropping a bowl of batter everywhere was hilarious! I felt I was ‘there’ experiencing God’s love throughout–Wow!

However, the author’s theology was at times rather mixed up and confused. At times, without realizing it, he blurred the persons of the Trinity, in trying to show the oneness of God. Difficult for anyone to hold the distinction of three distinct divine Persons yet ONE God! But, how many theologians can do accomplish this feat?!

Another problem I had was that he seems to suggest a kind of individalistic approach to God, denying the value of the institutional Church. Certain concepts the author used such as ‘institution,’hierarchy”, “religion,” and ‘ritual” were misleading and way off the mark; these theological concepts are not disposable but part and parcel of authetic Christian faith; without a proper undestanding, one can easily see existence of the institutional Catholic Christian Church and the Catholic religion as negatives.

As the Messiah, Jesus was Jewish and certainly intended, as the new Moses and God’s only Son, to surpass the life of the Torah and bring to humanity the fullest encounter in Himself and in His life-giving, redeeming encounter with Love ITSELF, as the definitive self-revelation of the love of God the Father.

Yes, I have some real problems with some of the skewed and confused theology when it is non-scriptual and denying the value of hierarchial leadership within the Church.

However, his thoughts on forgiveness were deeply rooted in Scripture! “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” Jesus clearly gave us the example from the cross facing his tormentors: “Father, forgive them for they know not what the do.”

Nonetheless, despite some strong reservations about the book’s theology, this fictional encounter with “God” made it all worthwhile! God IS love!

I think that this book would be useful as a stepping off point for a lively group discussion of the mixed up theological ideas expressed in the book as well as its depiction of the Trinity. Such a discussion could help Catholic believers fully understand what Christians believe and why the believe it, particularly by challenging us to defend our Catholic Christian beliefs.

I am so thankful I read this novel!

Michael Peter

27. Posted June 10, 2008 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

@Michael: You are spot on! the key word here is “fictional.” It’s not Scripture; it’s a story. It’s a fictional story. People would do well to keep that in mind. Well said, Michael.

28. Tera
    Posted June 11, 2008 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for this book. What a blessing this was for me. God has blessed me with so much understanding thru this book about my life and my struggles in Christianity. I never had realized why I could never get past the praise and worship to a really close, intimate relationship with God, but now I realize that I was angry with God for things that had happened to me in my childhood.

Reading this book has changed me. It’s bringing a deeper sense of awareness into my life about the Papa that dwells within me and how so very connected He and I are. For the first time in my 29 years, I don’t feel alone.

Bless you for your words. It took me a few weeks to read the book, especially the closer I got to the end. As it got deeper and deeper, I found that I could only read a page or two and then I had to pray and dwell in the Lord for hours before I could pick it up again.

I’m a changed woman and you’ve made a difference for me. Thank you

29. Posted June 23, 2008 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Wow! I have never been as in touch with who our God really is until I read The Shack! I really loved the part when they were in the garden. This book made me laugh,cry and feel very loved. I have always known that God loved me but I feel that he gave William Young an incredible gift of imagination. I know this book is fiction but on the other hand so very true. Thankyou for such a wonderful book! I will treasure it!

30. barry
    Posted June 28, 2008 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

31. Posted July 24, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

This book was life changing, even though I just finished it 1/2 hour ago. I think one of the saddest things is people’s inablity to reconcile an omnipotent loving God and the great tragedy they experience. This unresolved disappointment occupies a place in there heart were faith and love should live. I think this book dealt with that issue better than anything I have ever read or listened to.

Be Blessed.

32. Pauline
    Posted August 2, 2008 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Yes, you are so right, it truly is a life-changing book and I have now given it to my husband to read. I just could not put it down and when I finished it this morning, I sighed - not with relief - but with disappointment, I just didnt want it to end, I cried buckets at least four times whilst reading it, it touched my heart and I regained my faith in God and after a long spell away decided to return to Church. Have to get on Facebook now and tell everyone I know to read it too!
    God bless

33. ray stone
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 9:50 am | Permalink

I haven’t read “The Shack” as yet, I have however read “A Step Into Deliverance” by T.Pugh. It’s a riveting autobiographical account of a pastor’s journey down the mysterious road to the deliverance ministry. It’s a real page-turner!!

34. Georgina
    Posted August 7, 2008 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

I’m three hours into the audio of this book, and it is horrible. I don’t know what you all are talking about. This is way too much goody-two-shoes God crap. Life changing? It seems like a complete waste of time so far.

35. Richard
    Posted August 9, 2008 at 5:09 am | Permalink

A friend called me late last night and told me I had to read this book. I stumbled on this page in researching my latest purchase in anticipation of it arriving next week.

I began to express my ‘concerns’ about the authenticity and ’scriptural correctness’ of such a book and my friend stopped me abruptly in my tracks saying ‘Richard, have you heard yourself?’

God is bigger than theology and the Holy Spirit is more than able to help us sift the ‘wheat from the chaff’ as it were.

Just a quick note to Michael (Peter), you said above (Quote)’Another problem I had was that he seems to suggest a kind of individualistic approach to God, denying the value of the institutional Church. Certain concepts the author used such as ‘institution,’ hierarchy”, “religion,” and ‘ritual” were misleading and way off the mark; these theological concepts are not disposable but part and parcel of authentic Christian faith; without a proper understanding, one can easily see existence of the institutional Catholic Christian Church and the Catholic religion as negatives. But, Scripture makes it very clear in many passages that Jesus did intend to found a community of believers–just one: “Thou are Peter and upon this rock I shall build my church…and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”

The Roman Catholic Church believes that Peter is the rock that Jesus built his church upon but Jesus never said that.

Jesus had just explained to Peter that God had personally revealed to Peter that Jesus was the Christ. Then he said ‘You are Peter’ (petros in the Greek) which means a ‘detached stone or boulder that can be thrown and easily moved’ - which clearly describes Peter’s unstable character.

He then went on to say ‘and on this rock (petros) I will build my church’ with the word rock here meaning ‘a mass of rock, a sure foundation, or a solid rock that cannot be moved’.

I believe the rock Jesus means the true church is built on is Peter’s experience - a direct revelation of Jesus Christ.

Unless you have a personal revelation of Jesus you can’t be part of the church. It is totally individualistic. Now you may go to church, even be an ordained minister or priest but if you don’t know Him you aren’t ‘in’ and risk Jesus saying on that day ‘depart from me - I never knew you’.

When you have revelation about something the gates of hell cannot prevail against it. When you know that you know that you know you will be immovable (1 Cor 15:58).

On the other hand when you don’t have any revelation you are like a ‘wave of the seas, tossed and blown about by the wind’.

The true church is not an institution, an organization or incorporation. It is a body of people who are inhabited by God’s Spirit. If all the church buildings were destroyed tomorrow then the church would still exist. Jesus came to advance God’s Kingdom in the earth not start a religion.

I’m anticipating that this book has been written from one man’s personal revelation of God the Father and I eagerly await it.

36. Posted August 10, 2008 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Would anyone happen to know if this book has been published in other languages (swedish, specifically), of have any idea of where I might turn. I have searched on the internet to no avail.

Blessings to you all.

37. sylvia elizondo
    Posted August 13, 2008 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

I loved this book also, but I would like to hear some testimonies of people geting saved by reading it. I surrendered my life to Jesus 2 years ago reading a book called The purpose driven life. I beleive the part in the Shack that says that there is only one way to God, and that is through Jesus, but Jesus says that He will meet us on that path. That is one of my favorite parts in the book. I was a catholic-Jehova Wintness-agnostic-searcher of a better life, etc. And when I called out to Jesus He met me right in my living room. God’s grace abounds and is everywhere, it is a free gift. I find that the critics are the legalistic ones that perhaps don’t know what an awesome God we serve, that is so ready to forgive us in an instant, so that we will have an awesome personal and intimite relationship with Him. That is what eternal life is all about, knowing God and His Son Jesus Christ, in this life, we don’t have to wait till we die, Halleluya!!!!!!!!!

38. Laure
    Posted August 19, 2008 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

I am trying not to get offended at the people who totally look past the main issues of the book and go straight to the “God is not a woman” way of thinking. I loved the part about not judging and The Shak is written by a man who indeed did not know how strongly the Lord’s anointing is on his life. The Lord spoke to me so much then anyone has been able. It made me realize that I am lacking in relationship with Jesus…which is astounding because I go to a missionary/discipleship school called Master’s Commission. It was just a great experience and an eye opener. I have recommended it to everyone.

39. E Pierson
    Posted August 20, 2008 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Can someone send me a free copy of The Shack to 8550 SE 156th ST Summerfield FL 34491. Thank you, E. Pierson

40. ray stone
    Posted August 20, 2008 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Young is presenting a refreshing aspect of God which could heal many who deem Him as an old, insensative, judgmental, mean tyrant with a big stick-divorced from our pain and in some cases, causing it. Despite some awkward sentences and obvious theological loopholes, the work is riveting. I love the message of forgiveness which I believe is a universal problem with most people-save and unsaved alike. It is FICTION so that covers the many Biblical misinterpretation, and vastly creative. Young really kicks down our sacred cows in this work. A work of equal value is “A Step Into Deliverance” by Toni Pugh. Its autobiographical content about a pastor’s spiritual journey with God is a real page-turner!

41. Carolyn
    Posted August 21, 2008 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

I’m almost done reading “The Shack”. I believe it has changed my life. I purchased another copy this morning for my 25 year old son who has turned his back on God, religion, and anything associated with church - due to deep hurts in the family. I’m praying God will use this book to show him another way of looking at the Savior of this world. May our Lord have mercy and grace on all who read this book and it’s astonishing message.

42. david
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 12:53 am | Permalink

“Wow! I have never been as in touch with who our God really is until I read The Shack.”

Oh,really. Pretty much sums up our contemporary christian mindset.

And so it goes.

43. Posted August 25, 2008 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Just wondering if some people would be interested in sharing their testimonies. I have heard (or read) countless times from gushing admirers of The Shack that it has changed their lives. I was just wondering if anyone could actually provide a testimony. What you were like before, and how were you miraculously changed after reading The Shack?

I am sincere and honest in my request. I would like to hear how your life was genuinely and miraculously changed as a result of reading this book.

Peace & Blessings,
    Simple Mann

44. Posted September 9, 2008 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Carolyn - I do not mean for this to sound harsh, but you would have done better to buy your son a Bible and preach the true gospel to him than to give him a copy of the shack so that he can just feel better about having his back turned. Giving someone a false hope, a false witness, and a false assurance is always worse than giving them the truth. And the truth is your son is on the road to hell.

Whether or not he reads or even enjoys William Young’s book will in no way save him. In fact, I think the greater danger in reading it and having the sense that God loves you just the way you are when you are still in open rebellion against him; that only further hardens the heart by placing an idol inside it. The true God is found in the Bible, not some fictitious shack that teaches falsely about God.

Again, I apologize if I sound harsh, but if you are about to give your dying son a cup of poison thinking it will save him, it is far more loving for someone to shout out “WAIT!!!” instead of patting you on the back and saying, “You did everything you could…”

In Christ,
    Simple Mann

45. sylvia elizondo
    Posted September 10, 2008 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

simple man, I don’t know how I am feeling about this book anymore, when I read it I felt ok about it, then as the days followed, I started to feel yukke, I can’t explain it. It was like a feeling of betrayal to MY LORD.
    I know it is fiction, but I can’t help but feel like it could be sugarcoating the Gospel or be preaching a different Jesus than the One we learned. This book is ok for belivers in Christ because we can discern it, but someone that still has not come to the cross, for redemption could get confussed. What do you think…..???????? You know what made me feel weird was the Father being portayed as a woman, it just bothered me. I love Jesus, He is my life..

46. Posted September 12, 2008 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I think you are rightly concerned. However, even in the body of believers there are many who seem to lack discernment with the “trojan horse” theology Young hides amongst some very definite Biblical truth. I’ve been exchanging some comments with a shack defender on another site. You may be edified by the review and the comments here:

1Jn 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Jn 4:2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God;
    1Jn 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.
    1Jn 4:4 You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.
    1Jn 4:5 They are from the world; therefore they speak as from the world, and the world listens to them.
    1Jn 4:6 We are from God; he who knows God listens to us; he who is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

Peace & Blessings,
    Simple Mann

47. Posted September 14, 2008 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Well, it’s been three weeks and still not a single testimony from the many people who claim to have had a changed life as a result of reading the shack.

Peace & Blessings,
    Simple Mann

48. Ricardo
    Posted September 20, 2008 at 1:15 am | Permalink

After i heard my wife talking about a book that was not bought by kids college library i asked if she knows something about this book A CABANA (The Shack)in portuguese and she tells me a little breafing related and after that i was so interested to read.
    Thanks to Mack becouse the book is and will be the Gods note that him received after a tragic moment in his life to help everybody.
    I could to feel God more close and interested in my life again.
    Sometimes we need to give a chance to God in ours lives and God say that his opportunity is our desesperate moments.
    Better goes to God everytime when happy or sad i think.
    Thanks to God and you.
    God blass you in this way sharing the beautiful that comes from inside of your heart.
    I beg your pardon about my english.
    Ricardo from Brazil

Posted September 27, 2008 at 6:41 am | Permalink

Biblical support for the theology in The Shack may be found in Psalm 8, Proverbs 8, The Gospel of John, and the First Letter of John to mention a few. A book of theology that affirms many of the ideas presented in The Shack is RATIONAL CHRISTIANITY by Dr. George Elgin published in 2006 byWord Association Publishers. :)

50. Posted September 27, 2008 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Simple Mann, by his own admission, has never read The Shack in its entirety, yet he scours the internet for positive reviews so he can attack the book, the author, and those whose lives have been positively impacted by Paul Young.

Shawn, thanks for the insights, brother! I had the same reaction, but I didn’t get the cookies. :)

51. Posted September 27, 2008 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

@Bill: Get the cookies, brother!

I just bought my second copy of The Shack. I’m thinking about buying a box full for the people at our church. :)

52. Mark
    Posted September 29, 2008 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

a) I don’t have a problem with an outlook that makes the Catholic Church a negative as I have yet to find a scripture establishing it as ‘the’ Church.

b) the scriptures cited above by simple man are truth from the Word. I just don’t see the connection to the ‘Shack’ that I read. Or, how they don’t apply to most preachers I’ve listened to from many a pulpit.

5 Trackbacks

1. [...] Lo-Fi Tribe wrote an interesting post today on The Shack by William P. YoungHere’s a quick excerpt The Shack An Ooze Select Bloggers Book Review: I have read a few books that have changed my … page of a book by William P. Young called The Shack. The Shack is, as a result, now included … from William P. Young’s book. I admit that I approach Christian Fiction with more than a bit of cynicism [...]

2. By The Shack by William P. Young at on October 25, 2007 at 3:52 pm

[...] The Shack by William P. Young An Ooze Select Bloggers Book Review: I have read a few books that have changed my life. These kind of books - the kind that change your life - are exceedingly rare. So rare, in fact, that I think that I have only collected a handful of them during my years of searching and reading. The titles that q… [...]

3. By on November 7, 2007 at 6:07 am

The Shack…

The Shack, by William P. Young, is one of the best books, the best stories, I’ve ever read.
    After reading Shawn Anthony’s glowing endorsement and then a slew of excited reviews at, I decided to simply pick up The Shack locally an…

4. By   The Shack — Chris From Canada on November 29, 2007 at 1:42 pm

[...] Lo-Fi Tribe [...]

5. [...] It’s interesting that along the way I was also reading the novel The Shack, by William P. Young, which has a wonderful depiction of the Lord in a way that bridges gender, race and color — something Jeremy and I had also talked about the night before, previous to the morning’s reading when I reached the particular surprise chapter which reveals the start of an amazing story of God. [...]