DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tribe 960: A Theme for Learning and Development
Tribal Splash

Tribe 960: A Theme for Learning and Development

This redesign of tribe is called 960 because that’s the pixel width I decided to go with this time. Why? Well, because of an IM chat I shared with Nathan Smith back on February 24th, 2008. It went a bit like this (Note: the url to Nathan’s 960 Grid project has been removed until he is ready to reveal it himself):

7:10 PM Nathan: Yo.
7:10 PM Me: Nathan! How are you, brother?
7:11 PM Nathan: Good. Wrote a css mini-framework for grids. [url nixed]
7:11 PM Me: Very, very cool.
7:11 PM Nathan: [url nixed]
7:12 PM Me: what is 960?
7:12 PM Nathan: 960 pixels of width, the optimal width for 1024×768.
7:12 PM Me: Yep. I see now: [url nixed]
7:13 PM I wasn’t sure if it [960] was a company that hired you …
7:13 PM Nathan: Hehe, nope.
7:13 PM Me: Bro, This looks great.
7:14 PM Nathan: Thanks. http://www.cameronmoll.com/archives/2006/12/gridding_the_960/
7:15 PM Me: Heh … you guys are way over my head. Does anyone even design for 800 anymore?
7:16 PM Nathan: Dunno.
7:17 PM http://sonspring.com/mint/
7:17 PM If you look at the “Real Estate” panel, you’ll see the stats for screen-size on my site.
7:17 PM Nathan: It’s divisible by 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, and 16
7:17 PM Me: Hmm .. I’m using the odd 926 for my personal blog … I should up that to 960, eh?
7:18 PM Nathan: Nah, not just for the heck of it, but the next time you redesign, might make a good starting point.

So, I’m making it my new starting point. I’m not sure I completely understand the grid framework, but I’m going to learn. This is a good starting point. Guys like Nathan are incredible at design and development. It’s great to have people who share the expertise and knowledge.

So, please continue to enjoy the site while I simultaneously use it as my personal sandbox to explore, learn, and develop this thing called grid frameworks. I’ll be hacking away at the css (over at a legitimate sandbox site I set up) and slowly replacing the css here with a new design built atop the framework Nathan created. This will happen behind the scenes, so all should appear as tranquil! I hope! So for now, get used to and enjoy the 960 width.

UPDATE: I am very aware of the troubles caused to this design by Internet Explorer Six (IE6). I will be fixing those after Holy Week is complete. Thanks for your patience, IE6 users. And get a real browser already!!!

1. cwdaniels@gmail.com
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

I really really like it.

2. Shawn Anthony
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Wess. It’s still just the template I’m going to be porting w/ Nathan’s basic framework. Much to do, but this is it, basically.

3. Ben
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Definitely love it. You’ve made me decide to redesign . . . again. But hey, at least I’ve settled on a CMS ;)

4. Shawn Anthony
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Ben, you’re the man! I can’t say much to you about redesigning, because I tend to do it a lot too. I am glad to hear that you’ve settled on the CMS. You’re permalinks and Google searches will thank you! :)

That said, I think this will be my last redesign for some time.

5. Ben
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Yeah, switching designs might be frustrating to me but I switching CMS’s is detrimental to more than my sanity.

6. sonja
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

wow … very, very spacious. I love it.

7. Shawn Anthony
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Sonja!

8. Shawn Anthony
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

@Ben - Yeah. You need to stop killing your links bro! I took a peak at your Mint during your switch and saw all those 404 errors … That can’t be good after the 7th or 8th switch!

9. Ben
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

You ain’t kiddin’. FYI bro, I love that fat sidebar.

10. Shawn Anthony
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Yeah, with 960 pixels worth of real estate sidebars need not be on a diet. I went fat because I wanted three ad blocks per row, rather than two. Everything seems to lining up w/ the grid framework too.

11. cwdaniels@gmail.com
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

yeah, i like the real estate for sure. fat sidebars are great. That’s what I was going for on my redesign of grid focus, but mine just isn’t quite as fat as yours shawn.

12. Will Wilkins
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Looks great Shawn! I have always been a big fan of you minimalist designs! Really like the new header image and logo too.

As far as grid designs go, take a look at the Blueprint CSS framework also. The grid.css controls the grid and helped me to understand the whole grid appeal. Since then, I will never go back to something that is not based on a grid!

13. Shawn Anthony
    Posted March 21, 2008 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

@Wess: All you have to do is knock out the left and right walls and expand! :)

@Will: Thanks for the suggestions, bro. This grid thing is new to me, so I designed what I want it too look like (we are looking at that design now) and then I’m going to overlay an image of this site over an image of Nathan’s grid, to line things up and do the math, then I’ll work on coding it over at my sandbox. Hopefully, I can swap the grid based design of what we are looking at right now over the non-grid css I used to visualize with little trouble. Hopefully …

I think, if I learn and get this right this time around, that I’ll be dedicated to the grid framework from here on out too. It’s a really precise way to design.